追蹤者

2020年12月5日 星期六

SP 3.7.6

 

Pattern 6

If it were not for sth/sb, S + would/might + V…

例:Let's be thankful to the fools. If it were not for them, the rest of us would not appear wise.—Mark Twain

讓我們感謝那些蠢蛋。若非他們,我們就不會顯得有智慧。---馬克吐溫

 

說明:

I. 這個句型表示「若非…就...」,與現在的事實相反。

If it were not for his injury, he would be playing in today's baseball game.

→ Were it not for his injury, he would be playing in today's baseball game.

→ But for his injury, he would be playing in today's baseball game.

  若不是受傷,今天的棒球賽他就會參加。

II. 主要子句也可能是與過去的事實相反,這時動詞部分為would + have + V-ed。

If it were not for her arrogance, she would have gotten married.

  若不是她太高傲,她早就結婚了。

III. for 後面也可接 the fact that + 子句,這時 that 子句中要用現在式。

If it were not for the fact that I am busy, I would go to the movies with you.

  若不是我現在很忙,我會跟你去看電影。

IV. 這個句型也可用 without 來表達。

Without music, life would be a mistake.—Nietzsche

  若非有音樂,生命將是一種錯誤。---尼采

 

I. 替換

範例:But that he is too young, he would be able to join the army.

 → If it were not for his young age, he would be able to join the army.

1. But that he is ill, he would be able to go on a trip to Paris with us tomorrow.

à____________________________________________________________

2. But that the weather is cold, we would go swimming.

à____________________________________________________________

3. But that house prices are too high, I would be able to buy another house.

à____________________________________________________________

4. But that labor is so cheap in China, many foreign companies would not want to relocate there.

à____________________________________________________________

5. But that he is very old, he would not retire from public life.

à____________________________________________________________

 

ll. 翻譯:請將下列中文句子翻成英文。

1. 要不是我們有希望,生命將不值得一活。

______________________________________________________________

2. 若非有音樂,我們將覺得無趣。

______________________________________________________________

3. 若非他的幽默感,他將發現很難忍受痛苦與磨難。

______________________________________________________________

4. 要不是有老婆和三個小孩要養,他會提早退休。

______________________________________________________________

5. 要不是有全民健保,低收入的人將無法得到良好的醫療照顧。

______________________________________________________________

 

沒有留言:

張貼留言